As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to wreak havoc on our former sense of normal life and our quarantined days endure, it’s incredibly important to practice self-care and maintain your mental and physical health. With so many quarantine self-care trends popping up on social media, there are a myriad of ways you can tap into your best self.
We’re here to help you channel the best self-care trends worth trying out this quarantine.
It seems like everyone and their mothers have been cooking up loaves of bread throughout the entire duration of quarantine orders. Not only does hopping on this bandwagon guarantee you’re left with some delicious bread, but you can check off another skill in your imaginary book of talents.
Not sure how to get started? Check out these break-making books chock full of tasty and beginner-friendly recipes:
- Breaking Bread: A Baker’s Journey Home in 75 Recipes by Martin Philip
- Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish
- The Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook by Jessamyn Waldman Rodriguez and Julia Turshen
- Living Bread: Tradition and Innovation in Artisan Bread Making by Daniel Leader and Lauren Chattman
- Promise & Fulfillment: Formulas for Real Bread Without Gluten by Chris Stafferton
If you’re looking to free your mind and get in touch with all of the good Mother Nature has to offer, there’s no easier way to accomplish both than going for a hike. This, of course, is only a possibility if your state’s trails and national parks are open. In the event that they are, immersing yourself into a good, rewarding workout serves as a sweet escape from the insane reality we’re all living through. Don’t forget your trail running shoes!
Check out these lists of the best trails in each state if you’re ready to tackle the best hikes in your area:
- The Best Hike in Every State by Outside Online
- Best Hiking Trails in America – Top-Rated Hikes In Every State by Thrillist
- A Handy Guide to the Absolute Must-Do Hike in Every State by iExplore
Without access to your regular hydrafacialist, your skin might be suffering. Unclogging your pores and rejuvenating your skin from the comfort of your own home is actually a lot easier than you may think. In addition to saving money, you can learn how to care for your skin without the need for an expensive specialist.
Clay masks have been the tried-and-true self-skincare option for centuries, and for good reason. These mineral-rich mud masks effectively detox your pores and provide results you’ll just have to see to believe. Because not all clay masks were made equal, it’s important to choose one suitable for your skin type. Take a look at the list below to find the perfect solution for you:
- Best Budget Mask: Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
- Best for Sensitive Skin: Origins Original Skin Retexturizing Mask
- Best for Oily Skin: bareMinerals Clay Chameleon Transforming Purifying Cleanser
- Best Luxury Mask: Dr. Barbara Sturm Face Mask
What better way to escape the stress of your reality than by diving into someone else’s? Taking a walk in the footsteps of a classic novel protagonist may be the de-stressor you need in your life. Experience mystery, romance, horror, suspense, angst, and more, all within the pages of these extraordinary novels:
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Becoming an At-Home Bartender
You may find yourself more in need of a drink (it doesn’t have to be alcoholic) while cooped up at home and rapidly coming down with cabin fever. A little something to take the edge off (in moderation, of course) is an option when tensions are high, and you need an excuse to indulge in a delicious cocktail. Without your regular happy hour jaunts, there’s no better time to become your own favorite bartender.
Since you likely have plenty of time on your hands, why not become an expert at more complicated cocktails? Put these yummy mixed drinks on your list of drinks to make:
- Blood Margarita
- Lemon Drop
- Bloody Mary
- Strawberry Daiquiri
Which of these trends are you excited to try? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below!